Sunday, July 11, 2010

Not sure where to start

So, I've been putting off my first real post on this new blog. I guess I'm not sure where to start. Another thing is that I've gotten out of the habit of blogging. I was very busy in April and May, but I've really got no excuse as for June or even now in July. So, I confess, I've just gotten lazy and wasn't sure exactly where to pick up from.

Still unsure where to start from, I guess I am jumping in, right here, almost mid-July already!

It's still somewhat hard to believe that we've started a new chapter in our lives. On July 1, early morning, around 5:00 a.m., Mr. Dawkter started his first day on the job as a surgical intern. His schedule for the month of July provides for 4 days off; 5 nights of call; and 2 days of surgical bootcamp: all on vascular surgery. Below is the photo I took of him on his very first day. He didn't want to put his tie on until he got to the hospital and it was too early to disagree with him... so that's why he has no tie on.
(Part of me felt like a proud Mama, taking a picture of her baby on his first day of school). I was (and still am) so proud when to see him wear that long white coat. It may seem silly but it is somewhat of a status symbol as its how you can often determine who the doctor is, (similar to a fireman/policeman's uniform, it identifies who they are). As a medical student he wore a short white coat.

As far as residency: so far, so good. The first two or three days were definitely an adjustment. Much of this was due to the fact that the past two or three months have essentially been a vacation for Mr. Dawkter. Then you factor in that he was on call his second day, which led to some sleepiness. To explain he had regular hours his first day, starting at roughly 5 a.m. then came home exhausted that night and went to bed early. Then his second day he started at 5 a.m. but since he was "on call" he was at the hospital all night handling all the surgical patients. This meant periodic sleep, but only in about 30 minute increments. After being up most of the night he just had to see patients in the morning on day three and was able to leave by late morning/early afternoon. But having just started Mr. D was very tired and slept for several hours that afternoon... only to start again the next morning at 5 a.m.

But after the adjustment to the early hours and getting used to a new job and the fact that he is suddenly "a doctor" Mr. D is now doing quite well.

It's still kind of hard to believe he's actually a real doctor. I think its going to take a while to sink in!

*Please bear with me as I get back in the habit of blogging again!


  1. Oh my goodness that schedule DOES sound like quite the adjustment!! Russ has just started his rotations (he's a 3rd year) so I'm going to enjoy this time because I'm sure residency will creep up on us quickly.

    What are you going to do while he is gone? I find it hard to keep motivated when Russ is awful, right?

  2. Yay! Glad to see you blogging again. Vascular surgery sucks. The year will go by fast. Davita

  3. Yay! I am so happy to hear that you are back...
    So glad that so far things are going well :)
    I wish S had his call schedule!!! He is on call Mon, Wed, Sun this week, then he has a week off of call and then three more days the next week. He did have last weekend off so that was nice for him - and we did some mega catching up which was really nice too :)
    Anyway, I am looking forward to hearing how you adjust. I just wrote a post about how S is adjusting... not so good ;) lol...

  4. Glad you're back! Don't worry about getting back in the habit, because now that you've done the first post, it'll feel natural again. Can't wait to hear more!

  5. So glad you're back!

    I have a nearly identical photo of my husband on his first day, all shiny and new in his long white coat!

  6. Congrats! What a huge step forward in your journey!

  7. welcome back! glad your hubby is off to a great start :)

  8. Congratulations! That is so exciting :) I know it will take some getting used to but I know that this will be such an amazing chapter of your life. Mr.B just started 3rd year and I am so proud of him it is hard to put into words. It's nice to seem him come home form working in the hospital with a BIG smile on his face. XOXO

  9. Aw, I can't wait to take a picture of C on his first day of residency!

    Thank you for your encouraging words on my blog. I actually found your old blog a few weeks ago when I googled, "Medical Student's Wife" and I was so happy to find it. I saw you had a new one and I've been patiently waiting for a post! And here it is! Yay! Looking forward to reading more : )

  10. Yay! I cannot wait for the long white coat! can't wait to hear about this year's stories. I've started 4th year and ERAS is submitted :)


Thanks for your comments, I love to hear your thoughts! Have a blessed day!

Design by Bloggy Blog Designz Copyright © 2010